This post contains affiliate links.
Compassion is something the world is short of, compassion is what humanity needs and what being human is all about. We all know and complain about our lives in some way, but there are always those in greater need, those whose lives are so much worse than ours and when we show compassion for others who are less fortunate or going through hardship we are in essence feeding our souls and showcasing humanity itself.
Now every year I participate in the Salvation Army Christmas Angels program, but this was the first year I heard of and read about the Operation Christmas Child program from Samaritan’s Purse. The idea is simple, you get a standard shoe box or small plastic container and fill it with items you think a child would like to have, then you send it along with a small $7 donation and it will be delivered to a child in need somewhere around the world. This is called the Build-A-Box program and is a great way to do an activity with your kids or family and help kids select items to give other kids that they may learn compassion and help reinforce altruism.
- You just start with a shoebox as mentioned.
- Decide whether you want to pack it for a boy or a girl.
- Decide age category (2-4, 5-9 or 10-14)
- Fill the box or small container with toys, school supplies, hygiene items or other things that would both benefit him or her and also provide some happiness.
- Include a $7 or greater donation to cover shipping and packing, you can pay online or include a check in an envelope attached to shoebox.
- Make sure you rubberband the shoebox closed or the plastic container has a closed lid.
You also have the ability to follow your box if you donate online. This allows you to get email updates every time your box is scanned and arrives in a postal destination around the world until it reaches it’s destination. Drop off your box at a local drop off location, you can find one by searching the link to the left. To see and learn how to pack a shoebox, watch the How to Pack a Box with Scotty McCreery:
This holiday season build a box with your family to teach kindness, compassion, and generosity.
BlogFrog will match the first 200 boxes that are built. Pledge your commitment below to build a box today on Facebook or Twitter!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Operation Christmas Child. The opinions and text are all mine.